• Welcome to XF2 Addons. All the XF2 addons located in the Resources area are available for download once you upgrade your account to Premium membership. In addition, Premium members will get technical support. Premium membership costs only $35.00 USD a year. Once the year has expired you can continue to use the installed addons on your forum as long as you like.

Ability for Users to Ignore Selected Forum Sections

Tourmeister

Howdy Andy,

So on vB, we had the ability for users to go into their user profile and see a list of all the forum sections. They could then "tag" each section they wanted to ignore (hold down CTRL key to select more than one or add/remove on or more). This was really nice as it let people ignore things like the Off-Topic section or bike specific sections which they might never want to see. Once tagged, it was as if those forum sections simply did not exist until they untagged them.

Any chance you might be able to work up something like that?

Tourmeister

It is my members that are asking for it ;-)

It was very popular on the vB install.

However, the add-on above might do the trick!

Tourmeister

Oh geez... I had that installed on my beta forum before I made the switch to XF and totally forgot about it!! :rolleyes:

I am too young to be going senile!! o_O

Tourmeister

Still, that lets only the admin decide which to include/exclude. No easy way to let the users decide for themselves?

Tourmeister

The problem with this idea is that members will not use it.
I saw it the first time you wrote it, but I can understand why you might have thought I missed it given my recent brain farts :p

So since I can't do the forum ignore at the user level, which is what they are used to being able to do when I was running vB, I tried installing the Forum Password add-on and putting a password on my OT section. I was thinking this would keep content in that section from showing up in the New Posts lists if the users had not entered the password. Apparently, that is not working according to them. Even if they have not entered the password, the content still shows up in the New Posts list. I am trying to do this because some users don't want to see OT content and others do. So an add-on that excludes forum sections for everyone across the board doesn't really work.

Am I misunderstanding how the password is supposed to work? I entered the single node identifier number and a single password. When I tried it, I got the password prompt, entered it, and then had access to the OT section.

Tourmeister

Just use the New posts manager and problem solved.
I tried the New Post Manager and that forces me to exclude a section for ALL users, which I do not want, nor do the users. They want to be able to pick and choose, or customize if you will, what forum sections they see and ignore everything else. I know you don't think they will use it, but they have been for close to 10 years. Some used it to ignore the Off-Topic section. Many used it to block other sections and even entire categories, like street riders ignoring all the dirt rider stuff.

I was just hoping that perhaps the New Posts manager could be tweaked to work at the user level rather than at the admin level, or maybe even both? But, I will quit pestering you about it and just hope you change your mind at some point ;)