Addon idea: Last Post

mkucuksari

I think it will be a great to have an addon that :

Go to the last message in tread and conversation if there is no unread message instead of the first one. If there is an unread passage to the first unread.

Andy

Administrator
I think it will be a great to have an addon that :

Go to the last message in tread and conversation if there is no unread message instead of the first one. If there is an unread passage to the first unread.
It is assumed you would want to read the thread from the beginning if you have never seen the thread before.

Russ

Current behavior:
  1. XF takes you to last unread post (which if thread is unread is 1st post)
  2. If no unread posts, takes you to first post
Proposed behavior:
  1. XF takes you to last unread post (which if thread is unread is 1st post)
  2. If no unread posts, takes you to last post

Andy

Administrator
Why would you want to start reading a thread from the last post if you have never seen the post?

Andy

Administrator
Oh got it, so the member has read all the posts and wishes for what ever reason to open the thread.

I think the same logic is used for never seen the post or has no unread posts, it opens the thread at the first post. Perhaps the reason is it makes it more obvious that there are no new posts to read and prevents the possible situation where ou're reading the last few posts wondering if they are new.

Russ

Maybe, but the unread indicator (bold) tells you whether or not there are unread posts. If I click back on a thread, it's because I want to go back and reply to a thread I previously read. I always end up clicking on the last page to jump to the last post. Granted, I could click on the last post date link to jump to it right off, but I'm so used to always clicking on the title and XF just "doing the right thing" that I never do that. "The right thing" is the question. For me, the current behavior is right maybe 10% of the time. Maybe it's more than 10% for normal users, but I'd still argue it's less than 50%, thus should be implemented the other way.

mkucuksari

I totally agree with @Russ . We will be very happy if you can make an addon like that.

I am planning to transfer my forum from SMF to Xenforo. Including me and nearly all my forum's users used to have a function like that.

According to @Russ comments, I can see that we are not alone.

So if you accept and create an addon like that, there will be an alternative choices at Xenforo for users like us.

Andy

Administrator
For me, the current behavior is right maybe 10% of the time. Maybe it's more than 10% for normal users, but I'd still argue it's less than 50%, thus should be implemented the other way.
I never suggest changing a core function like this. The reason is users expect the default XenForo behavior, so by changing something like this it makes your forum more difficult to use and could be confusing.

Russ

Agree it's a better fix for XF core than an add-on, which is why I suggested it as an enhancement to XF. However, I think if the behavior is intuitive and just does the right thing, users won't notice it. They will notice the inverse on other XF sites where it doesn't work the same way.

Andy

Administrator
They will notice the inverse on other XF sites where it doesn't work the same way.
Either way very undesirable to deviate from default core functions like this.

I doubt XenForo will change this behavior, it's been discussed many times over the last 15 years (same way vBulletin worked also) and it seams to be the best way to navigate forums.

Russ

XF actually deviates greatly from vBulletin on this. At least older versions of vBulletin navigate to first post regardless of read/unread status. XF smartly navigates to the last unread post. It could be even smarter if they defaulted to the last post if no unread posts IMO. I don't think there is any user expectation around this based on using other forums. User expectation is formed based on what's intuitive, not what is learned from using similar functionality on other sites. Granted, what is learned can become intuitive if widely adopted (e.g, a hamburger menu on mobile apps), but I don't think there is any such consistency on forum software, and most users are completely unaware of the underlying software being used.

Andy

Administrator
XF actually deviates greatly from vBulletin on this. At least older versions of vBulletin navigate to first post regardless of read/unread status.
Please check again, if memory serves the last unread function goes back to the original version of vBulletin.

There are many things to consider regarding a thread link, take for example if a viewer wants to copy a thread link to web site elsewhere, where should the reading start, at the beginning of the thread, or at the end?

mkucuksari

I never suggest changing a core function like this. The reason is users expect the default XenForo behavior, so by changing something like this it makes your forum more difficult to use and could be confusing.
I am still thinking that having a option like that will be great.

I am not programmer. But if it is not so difficult for you, why don't you make a addon like that. People, like us will use it.

mkucuksari

Just about every add-on is difficult to do, much time is needed to think about the function, create the add-on, provide technical support and to upgrade as needed.

I would never recommend or create an add-on which I don't fully support it's function.
Okey, I get the point. Anyway thanks for your interest

Russ

Okey, I get the point. Anyway thanks for your interest
Feel free to pile on to my suggestion over at Xenforo Community. I think it's a minor enough change they may consider it. I think your context of competitor platforms is an important consideration.