Cache or store similar threads on large forum

nrep

I'd really like to use the similar threads addon on a large forum, but it is quite slow to search for similar threads on each thread load.

Is it possible to create a version that either caches the results for a long time? Or, a version that stores the similar threads in a separate table at the time the thread is created?

nrep

Even on a small site, it increases the page loading time by 3x. On a large site, it's unusable. However, it's a really great feature if it can be made to work faster :).

I was wondering if it would be possible to add an additional xf_thread_similar table, which can then be populated with similar threads for each thread via the "rebuild" tool page. Optionally, it could also be set to update an individual similar thread row once the data is over x number of days old (i.e. after 30 days old data, the next thread page view that hits this threshold will update that row). It'll be a small one-off hit per page, so it will be much much faster for most forums.

nrep

Unfortunately, I can't use Elastic Search on my server. Even on the busy smaller forums, the increase in load time and server load is pretty large.

Do you think there is a chance that the similar threads addon may be tweaked to include a caching setup (similar to post #3) in future?

nrep

That's not the site I was looking to use this addon on, unfortunately. I can't use the elastic search addon as I've got several forums that don't generate any (or much) revenue, so it's too expensive to buy multiple XFES licenses and cater for the the increased server requirements. I've got an XF1 addon that works like the suggestion above and the page load times are really fast, so I was hoping that there would be a way to get this working in a similar way. The answer may be that I can't upgrade from XF1 for a while, but I thought I'd ask and see if this sort of feature may be in the works for the future of this addon :).

Andy

Administrator