• Welcome to XF2 Addons. All the XF2 addons located in the Resources area are available for download once you upgrade your account to Premium membership. In addition, Premium members will get technical support. Premium membership costs only $35.00 USD a year. Once the year has expired you can continue to use the installed addons on your forum as long as you like.

Quick search v1.6

Sushubh

I have a feature request for this plugin. Right now it sort results by date of first post. Would love it if you can add an option in backend to change it to data of latest post. Thanks.

Andy

Administrator
The problem I see with doing this is that if take for example a thread which was originally created 10 years ago is bumped a few days ago would appear to be a new thread, even though the content is likely to be 10 years old.

Sushubh

that requirement is the reason why i asked for this feature. i have few threads that are running for more than a few years (based on latest updates of software and web services) and they do not appear in quick search results because of newer threads containing same keywords. so basically it becomes hard to locate old threads even though they are active today.

Sushubh

https://broadbandforum.co/threads/youtube-updates.4331/ would not appear on searching for youtube. but yeah, it would if i search for youtube updates. but for that i need to remember that i had the keyword updates in the thread i am looking for.

i noticed the problem for the keyword "windows 10". i kind of fixed it by merging some threads and deleting some irrelevant ones. so the primary thread now appear in the quick search results.

forum is running from 2004 and it has collected quite a lot of junk largely because of my own activity over the years. it's not very big of a deal. i can always use google site search to locate older threads. i just like using this tool as the first option.

Andy

Administrator
The problem with sorting by last post date is you would perhaps find the one thread, but most of the other quick searches would provide older threads when most of the time you want the newest threads.

In the example you provided, I would start a new thread called YouTube Updates and close the one started in 2006. That way your members will always get the most recent threads when using the quick search.

I discovered this addon today and it is really much better than the default XF search, as it lists in a second the search while typing AND you see the results on the same page AND the results are not restricted to 100 max like in XF default maximum, as you can set higher values.

Anyway. I have one request/question. How can I modify the code, so the search skips hyphens?
For example when I search verdi, it doesn't find verd-i I just want that words with hyphens get treated like without hyphens. I have thousands of words with hyphens and they can't be found cause one didn't use the hyphen (which nobody uses today, it is an old way of spelling things). I can figure the regex myself out if you tell me where to put it.
You can pm me if you need more information @Andy. Still thank you for your collection.

Some enhancement suggestions.
The button "X" to close/delete the found list is on bottom right corner, which is not practical at all. Imagine you list 50, 100 or 500 results, one need to scroll down to be able to close the found list. Imagine you are on a smartphone, the scrolling adds more up (even with small results). Also it is hidden like that, not much present. The better place would be to place it next to the search bar in my opinion.

Also when I search in forum node "abc", why do the search results have a column "forum" and displays that the found results are in forum "abc". I mean that information is redundant, as it brings no value to know as I am already in that node, no need to tell me that the results are from that node.

In addition to that, why this redundant column harms. When you are on a small screen, it takes space with no value.
I think the whole results list needs tweaking for smaller screens. Specially the columns "thread starter" and "forum" should be removed, which would give more space to the thread titles. If one thinks thread starter is important to know, it should be displayed under the titles, not left of it which takes space with no real value (the avatars).

Just my 2 cents. These are just suggestions. I'd be happy when I could solve the hyphen issue, the rest is bonus for me. Thank you.

Andy

Administrator
How can I modify the code, so the search skips hyphens?
I'm sorry but I don't provide support for this sort of customization.

One alternative is for you to update thread titles with a query, for example if there's a common word with a hyphen you would rather have without, change them with a query.

Andy

Administrator
Some enhancement suggestions.
The button "X" to close/delete the found list is on bottom right corner, which is not practical at all. Imagine you list 50, 100 or 500 results, one need to scroll down to be able to close the found list. Imagine you are on a smartphone, the scrolling adds more up (even with small results). Also it is hidden like that, not much present. The better place would be to place it next to the search bar in my opinion.
The X is in the same location XenForo has it for quick thread. It's always best to keep things the same when possible.

Andy

Administrator
Also when I search in forum node "abc", why do the search results have a column "forum" and displays that the found results are in forum "abc". I mean that information is redundant, as it brings no value to know as I am already in that node, no need to tell me that the results are from that node.

In addition to that, why this redundant column harms. When you are on a small screen, it takes space with no value.
I think the whole results list needs tweaking for smaller screens. Specially the columns "thread starter" and "forum" should be removed, which would give more space to the thread titles. If one thinks thread starter is important to know, it should be displayed under the titles, not left of it which takes space with no real value (the avatars).
Having the result colums the same is good, it also helps the viewer understand the results are from a particular forum.

I'm sorry but I don't provide support for this sort of customization.

One alternative is for you to update thread titles with a query, for example if there's a common word with a hyphen you would rather have without, change them with a query.
I understand, I'll have to figure it out myself then, no problem.

No, these are not common words, all belong to an old language which is not used the way it is used today, hence the hyphens. But they have to stay with the hyphens, cause in that context it is the right way of spelling it. It would have been great if the search wouldn't use exact matches, and instead would skip hyphens like it skips paranthesis. I thought if there is already an algorithm to skip parenthesis, it wouldn't be that much different to make it skip hyphens. But no problem. I will look into it.

And about the suggestions, I can always use template modifications for myself, but I thought those suggestions would be good for everyone. Also no problem. Still thank you. Have a nice day.