Request - reversed post sorting in thread view, apart from the first post

Xiomera

Hi there,

I was wondering, if you could realise this idea as an addon for your collection.

So in principle the sorting for the posts, in the thread view, is reversed. Just the first post stays at the top.

Use:
For very large threads. To know what the thread is about and then continue with the newest postings.

Thank you for your time.
-Xiomera

Andy

Administrator
Staff member
Thank you for your suggestion, but I think that would be very confusing. What's the matter with the way it is default?

Xiomera

Thank you for your suggestion, but I think that would be very confusing. What's the matter with the way it is default?
This is for very large threads. With this structure you get a first look what it is all about (first post/entry posting) and can then read whats new to this topic.

Furthermore we will migrate a big vb to xf2 and there the users are used to this structure.

Thanks for the quick response.
-Xiomera

Andy

Administrator
Staff member
A couple of thoughts come to mind.

1) The thread title should already explain what the thread is about.
2) These sort of long threads almost always get side tracked., so the first post content most likely would no longer apply.

Xiomera

This are understandable concerns, but we have already users, who are familiar with this structure for years.
Therefore we want to keep this structure for the XF2 migration.

-Xiomera

Andy

Administrator
Staff member
I strongly advise not providing this confusing design. Your members will take a few days to get used to the new XenForo design and all will be well.

ozzy47

1) The thread title should already explain what the thread is about.

Oddly enough that sounds eerily familiar to this;

1. The add-on title must be clear as to its function, even if that's at the cost of brevity. For example, an add-on which automatically marks alerts viewed should be titled "Automatic alert view marking" rather than simply "Alerts".

RC

Hi there,

I was wondering, if you could realise this idea as an addon for your collection.

So in principle the sorting for the posts, in the thread view, is reversed. Just the first post stays at the top.

Use:
For very large threads. To know what the thread is about and then continue with the newest postings.

Thank you for your time.
-Xiomera
XenPorta 2 does this (partially - first post displayed on each page). Not sure if you can reverse post order though - agree with Andy that would be confusing.