Understanding shared hosting limits - inodes

Andy

Administrator
Staff member
Inodes represent the amount of all the files located on your hosting account. Any image file, video, HTML file, folder and script file are considered inodes.

Like most web hosting companies, this information is not provided upfront, but hidden in the technical information about the web hosting package. Here's the one for KnownHost.

1631403052371.jpg

Andy

Administrator
Staff member
So how can you determine the number of inodes for a given directory? SSH into your server as root and at the command prompt enter the following:

ls -id /home/user/public_html

Andy

Administrator
Staff member
So for example you want migrate to KnownHost from another web hosting company. Determine how many inodes you are using, if the number is well below 200,000 then you can consider getting a shared web hosting. Otherwise if over 200,000 inodes, get a VPS.

rhody401

Thank you for sharing!

I just did this on one of my forums, which is on a shared reseller acct that I manage. Result is 93,520,325
My much smaller forum, on a different cpanel acct within same reseller, has a result of 63,903,352

If some reseller providers have a limit of only 200k, I dont think you could much with it as far as running a forum.