• Welcome to XF2 Addons. All the XF2 addons located in the Resources area are available for download once you upgrade your account to Premium membership. In addition, Premium members will get technical support. Premium membership costs only $35.00 USD a year. Once the year has expired you can continue to use the installed addons on your forum as long as you like.

Use full friendly URLs

Andy

Administrator
Every forum should always enable the 'Use full friendly URLs' feature.

Admin control panel -> Setup -> Options -> Basic board information -> Full friendly URLs

Sushubh

i do personally wish that xenforo at least had an option to limit the length of the friendly url. or at least not change friendly url when the thread title is changed.

dknife

i do personally wish that xenforo at least had an option to limit the length of the friendly url. or at least not change friendly url when the thread title is changed.
Why does it matter if the friendly URL is changed? It doesn't matter what the title is, the link won't break. The ID at the end is the important part.

Sushubh

yes. but an additional redirection is added. urls are re-indexed. duplication happens for days if not weeks till older links disappear in search index. a lot of cms (including wordpress which is the most popular cms on the web) do not change permalink if the post title is changed. i just don't like xenforo changing link of the thread (and all the posts inside) every time a modification is made to the thread title! :) redirection should be the last option! there is already so much redirection on the web!

Andy

Administrator
You can always uncheck this:

This has the benefit of keeping URLs short as well as forcing authors to describe the link which has SEO benefits.

Sushubh

yup. i would love to switch to it. but there is one very stupid usability issue that i have with it.
i respond to a lot of existing threads using the /reply link. to access them, i just have to type in the keywords from thread title in the browser addressbar. with content title in url... URL works great as it has the relevant keyword.
but if i disable this option... it kind of breaks because XenForo does not include the title of the thread in the reply page. and since url does not also have the keyword... it does not always help in finding out the relevant thread.

this kind of becomes annoying.

Sushubh

for instance, i wanted to reply to this thread... and i remember the title of this thread... i would just load the url: https://www.xf2addons.com/threads/use-full-friendly-urls.486/reply from the addressbar. if i have open the thread before... https://www.xf2addons.com/threads/use-full-friendly-urls.486/ bit would already be in my history. i would just add reply at the end to start posting a reply.

example from my own site... i see some news about a particular topic called aadhaar... i would just load https://broadbandforum.co/threads/AADHAAR.26173/reply and post there. instead of loading the thread and then using quick reply box.

Sushubh

your advance search feature has been godsend tbh. has saved me hours i bet in finding out threads right from the address bar! it has been amazing.

ps. if you can update the Forum title | XF2 Addons and add thread title to the reply template title as well... it would make the switch a lot easier! thanks.